Judges: @tomboy-kei, @blacktiger128
Competitors & Scores
Competitors: Hiraeth 119 and Alfred 52
Judge Scores: 37, 43
1) How much background elements are included in this piece is wonderful, on top of the more bright colors that draw your eyes everywhere in the pieces. In both pictures though the rider and dragon seem to almost blend into the environment their in, maybe try more varying colors next time? Or separating the similar colors more distinctly.
2) The patterns and all of the intricate shapes used really bring the pieces to life. The blending of the different colors using colored pencils is done very well and adds life and movement to the pieces, especially in the background. Beyond the background though, the characters themselves seem somewhat static and my eye is drawn elsewhere than the actual dragon and rider. Using different colors or making them more active, or even bigger in the images could help with this.
The judges give Hiraeth a combined score of 80. Their training gives them an additional 54 points for a final score of 134.
1 SC, 2 Max HP, x1 Small Health Potion, Sugar Glider, 200 Silvence, Carmine Yogurt, Flower Seeds, Small Animal Skin, Herbs, Sapphire
Competitors: Ben 59 and Faraday 467
Judge Scores: 40, 42
1) The fire effect and lighting is beautiful.the idea of the dragon being a candlestick is really fun and neat! The textures and backgrounds are nice to look at, but there’s not a whole lot of extra elements that draw your eye in them, including the rider. The rider is a piece of both images that you just want to focus on less. They don’t stand out as much and makes it seem less like a partnership. The similar tones of the second background make the details stand out less as well but it’s such a beautiful snowscape once you start looking!
2) The contrast both pieces have between each other is nice, with one being the warmth and the older one more on the colder scale of colors. How the dragon is used is also very creative! I wish the rider had more energy to them, compared to their rider they fall a bit short on that front.
The judges give Faraday a combined score of 82. Their training gives them an additional 18 points for a final score of 100.
1 SC, x1 String, Leopard Gecko, 100 Silvence, Carmine Yogurt, Rusty Stone, Berries, +1 Max HP
Competitors: Mallow E6 and Liam 28
Judge Scores: 37, 48
1) I really adore the interaction between the dragon and rider, and how the background is monotone in color with the characters being the main focus. It gives the piece a warmth in the cold times. I do however wish the said background had more details to it.
2) The shading used and the details of the characters are lovely. The backgrounds are conversely lacking in details though. This does draw more attention to the actual subject matter of the characters and their outfits and talent, but the lack of other elements makes the pieces less fun to look at. The buildings in the second image are very pretty, and I love the technique used there, but the background in the first leaves some things to be desired.
The judges give Mallow a combined score of 85. Their training gives them an additional 22 points for a final score of 107.
1 SC, 1 Max HP, x1 Treated Wood, 100 Silvence, Carmine Yogurt, Herbs, Rusty Stone
Competitors: Bran 55 and Bunting 488
Judge Scores: 54, 43
1) the use of lighting is beautiful in both pieces, but especially warm in the second. Even just the lighting there gives a good sense of the theme. I also really like the snowy details in the first image. Helping one another to bundle up with a hug is also a very fun take on the prompt. Both backgrounds could benefit from a few more details, though the first one is more in need of a couple more background elements to make it feel more full.
2) I find these two just adorable, a very clear bond is obvious between two and it combines two of my favorite elements from former pieces (character interaction and contrast between pieces). With two varying environments in both color and actual location it shows a nice difference that winter offers from the outside to inside. My only qualm is how simple the first background it, but i just like my detailed backgrounds.
The judges give Bunting a combined score of 97. Their training gives them an additional 19 points for a final score of 116.
1 SC, 1 Max HP, x1 Small Health Potion, Sheep, 100 Silvence, Carmine Yogurt, Berries, Diamond